JR Chūō Main Line
Home page: None
January 18, 2018
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
From Merged Shrines
Earliest mention of: 1428
The origins of this shrine are unclear. Its information board tells us that there is a munafuda dating to 1428, meaning that the shrine has been in existence at least since then. It is located close to the Hiraide Spring, designated an historical landmark by Shiojiri-shi in 1970, and in olden times it seems to have been dedicated to a water kami related to the Spring. In medieval times (Kamakura/Muromachi Periods), however, it became known by its present name following the ceremonial transfer of the deity Amrno-kaguyama from the Yahiko Jinja (弥彦神社) in Niigata-ken.
About 2 km from Shiojiri Station. The main "selling point" of this Iyahiko Jinja is its Honden (Main Hall). It was rebuilt in 1817 by Washirōtomi-masa of the Tatekawa school of shrine builders, who also built the nearby Ōta Suwa Jinja. The shrine alone doesn't really warrant a separate visit, but it is close to the Hiraide Spring Park, the Hiraide Museum, the Hiraide archeological site, the Higakuataritasuku Shrine and the combination of these makes for a relatively interesting, if quite low-key, couple of hours.
(Click on images to expand them)