"...any being whatsoever which possesses some eminent quality out of the ordinary, and is awe-inspiring, is called Kami.”
Keihin Kyūkō Main Line
Tōkyō-to, Shinagawa-ku, Higashi-Ōi 3-9-15
Kajiwara Inari Jinja
Home page: (Japanese) none
September 25, 2018
I visited this relatively unknown shrine because of its proximity to Samezu Hachiman Jinja: its most interesting feature is the way it is built around a small kofun (burial mound).
In 772 Minamoto Yoritomo ordered a retainer, Kajiwara Heizōkagetoki (梶原兵三景時), to build a temple in Ōimura, Kashimatani (鹿島谷, what is now Ōimachi 6-chōme). The temple was named Manpukuji (萬福寺) and an Inari Jinja was built in its grounds. In October 1319 the temple was destroyed by fire and it was
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
From Merged Shrines
subsequently rebuilt in what is now Komagome in Ōta-ku. Damage to the Inari Jinja, however, was relatively slight and it was moved to the Kajiwara family estate. It was later moved to another temple, Raifuku-ji (来福寺), in what is now Higashi-Ōi, about 100m away from the shrine's current location.
By the first half of the 18th Century ownership of the burial mound on which the shrine then stood seems to have been in the hands of one Sakurai Genbee, although various members of the Kajiwara family, some of whom traced their descent back as far as a fifth generation descendant of the 50th emperor, Kanmu, were enthusiastic worshippers at the site. In more modern times, 1925 to be exact, administration of the site was transferred to local residents and improvements were made to the property, including the construction of a shrine office. In 1963, further improvements were made possible by donations from believers and the shrine's information board was raised to commemorate this.
Just over 10 minutes on foot from Samezu Station, and a little less from Samezu Hachiman Jinja. The shrine is built around a smallish kofun: surrounded as it is by houses it is impossible to take a photo of the mound in its entirety. The sandō basically runs around the mound so unobstructed views are few. There are at least twelve kitsune in the grounds.
(Click on images to expand them)