"...any being whatsoever which possesses some eminent quality out of the ordinary, and is awe-inspiring, is called Kami.”
Keihin Kyūkō Main Line
Tōkyō-to, Shinagawa-ku, Higashi-Ōi 1-20-10
Hachiman Jinja (Samezu)
Home page: (Japanese) none
September 18, 2018
The shrine legend tells us that it was founded sometime during the Kanbun Period (1661-1673): this is probably true as it is mentioned in a kakiagechō of 1686. It housed the tutelary deity for Ohayashi-machi (御林町, lit. “Honorable forest town”) in Ōi-mura, now part of the Ōi district of Shinagawa. Its name derives from the fact that it was developed as forest land under the direct jurisdiction of the Bakufu and tasked with providing timber for Edo Castle. Close to the waterfront as it was, it also harboured a small fishing port, Ohayashi-ura, and this was one of the eight bays or creeks where the Osai-sakana-hachikaura, official suppliers of marine produce to the Tokugawa Shōgunate, were located. These suppliers were given special rights, and for its part Ohayashi-ura effectivelycontrolled the fishing businesses of 44 inlets flowing into Edo Bay, and it is perhaps not surprising that Ohayashi-machi flourished against this background. As the town, so the shrine.
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
From Merged Shrines
Shusse Inari Jinja 出世稲荷神社
Fujisengen Ōkami 富士浅間大神
Itsukushima Jinja 厳島神社
Nagotama Jinja 漁呉玉神社
Annual Festival: Nearest Saturday/Sunday to August 12
In 1738 and again in 1813 the main hall was rebuilt: at this time shrine's affairs were overseen by the nearby Raifukuji temple, still in existence at Higashi-Ōi 3-13-1. Come the shinbutsu bunri, however, the shrine was given village shrine ranking in 1874 and in 1897 it was designated a Shinsen-heihakuryō-kyōshin jinja. In 1929 it absorbed a nearby Shirayama Jinja.
One minute from Samezu Station. For me the truly interesting aspects of this shrine are the in-ground shrines which reflect the fishing background described above. At the rear of the shrines is a largish pond containing a Benzaiten Jinja, and in front of the pond are two shrines, Itsukushima and Nagotama, which together are referred to as Sui Jinja (Water Jinja).
(Click on images to expand them)