Nearest stations

Akasaka & Tameike Sannō

Chiyoda & Nanboku/Ginza Lines

Tōkyō-to, Chiyoda-ku, Nagata-chō 2-10-5

東京都千代田区永田町2-10-5

 

日枝神社

   Hie Jinja

February 20, 2019

History

Often referred to as Sannō Hie Jinja, reflecting its affiliation to the Hiyoshi/Hie/Sannō shrine grouping. 1478 is the date normally given for its foundation, but its origins may have been in the early Kamakura Period when a samurai by the name of Edo Shigenaka  (江戸重継) built a shrine in his residence—which eventually became Edo Castle—and enshrined Hiyoshi Ōkami through the kanjō process. Around 1478 Ōta Dōkan began building Edo Castle on the ruins of Edo Shigenaka's residence.

When Tokugawa Ieyasu moved into Edo in 1590 he had the shrine rebuilt and granted it a 5 koku trade license. In order to enable townspeople to visit the shrine the second Tokugawa Shōgun, Hidetada, had it moved outside the castle. This was in 1607, and in 1617 he granted it a further 100 koku. This was followed in 1635 by a further grant of 495 koku by Iemitsu, the third Shōgun. In 1657, however, the 

a101.JPG

Enshrined Kami:  

Main

(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names

refer to position in How Many Kami table)

Ōyamakui-no-kami                    大山咋神

 

From Merged Shrines

Kuni-no-tokotachi-kami (6)            国之常立神

Izanami-no-mikoto (13B)                伊邪那美命

Tarashinakatsu-hiko-no-mikoto   足仲彦尊

In-ground Shrines:

Yasaka Jinja          八坂神社        

Sarutahiko Jinja   猿田彦神社    

Sannō Inari Jinja  山王稲荷神社    

 

​Annual Festival:  June 7-17   

Hie Jinja  日枝神社

shrine was destroyed in the Great Meireki Fire along with much of Edo. In 1659 the fourth Tokugawa Shōgun, Ietsuna, ordered its rebuilding in its present location, where it quickly flourished. So much so in fact that its Sannō Matsuri was, indeed still is, celebrated as one of Edo's two most important festivals along with Kanda Jinja's Kanda Matsuri. These two festivals are jointly referred to as Tenka Matsuri (天下, lit. One Under Heaven) or Goyō Matsuri (御用. lit Patronized Festival). They are also grouped with Tomioka Hachiman-Gū's Fukagawa Festival as the Edo Sandai Matsuri (江戸三大祭The Three Great Edo Festivals).

 

Description

Three min on foot from both Akasaka (Exit 2) and  Tameike Sannō (Exit 7) Stations. As its inclusion in the The Ten Tōkyō Shrines would suggest there is a lot to see here, from the imposing main torii to the Inari sandō,, and in between. The pair of koma-inu shown here were carved in 1820; it is said that they were originally located in the grounds of Kanda Jinja.  These two figures are monkey gods (Sarugami, 猿神), which are closely related to Hiyoshi Taisha and served as that shrine's messengers. 

 
 
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© Rod Lucas 2016-2019

All text and photos by Lucas unless otherwise stated