Often referred to as Sannō Hie Jinja, reflecting its affiliation to the Hiyoshi/Hie/Sannō shrine grouping. 1478 is the date normally given for its foundation, but its origins may have been in the early Kamakura Period when a samurai by the name of Edo Shigenaka (江戸重継) built a shrine in his residence—which eventually became Edo Castle—and enshrined Hiyoshi Ōkami through the kanjō process. Around 1478 Ōta Dōkan began building Edo Castle on the ruins of Edo Shigenaka's residence.
When Tokugawa Ieyasu moved into Edo in 1590 he had the shrine rebuilt and granted it a 5 koku trade license. In order to enable townspeople to visit the shrine the second Tokugawa Shōgun, Hidetada, had it moved outside the castle. This was in 1607, and in 1617 he granted it a further 100 koku. This was followed in 1635 by a further grant of 495 koku by Iemitsu, the third Shōgun. In 1657, however, the
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
From Merged Shrines
Kuni-no-tokotachi-kami (6) 国之常立神
Yasaka Jinja 八坂神社
Sarutahiko Jinja 猿田彦神社
Sannō Inari Jinja 山王稲荷神社
Annual Festival: June 7-17
shrine was destroyed in the Great Meireki Fire along with much of Edo. In 1659 the fourth Tokugawa Shōgun, Ietsuna, ordered its rebuilding in its present location, where it quickly flourished. So much so in fact that its Sannō Matsuri was, indeed still is, celebrated as one of Edo's two most important festivals along with Kanda Jinja's Kanda Matsuri. These two festivals are jointly referred to as Tenka Matsuri (天下, lit. One Under Heaven) or Goyō Matsuri (御用. lit Patronized Festival). They are also grouped with Tomioka Hachiman-Gū's Fukagawa Festival as the Edo Sandai Matsuri (江戸三大祭The Three Great Edo Festivals).
Three min on foot from both Akasaka (Exit 2) and Tameike Sannō (Exit 7) Stations. As its inclusion in the The Ten Tōkyō Shrines would suggest there is a lot to see here, from the imposing main torii to the Inari sandō,, and in between. The pair of koma-inu shown here were carved in 1820; it is said that they were originally located in the grounds of Kanda Jinja. These two figures are monkey gods (Sarugami, 猿神), which are closely related to Hiyoshi Taisha and served as that shrine's messengers.