Ōsaka-fu, Sakai-shi, Sakai-ku, Shukuinchōhigashi 2-1-6
Sumiyoshi Taisha Shukuintongū
22 September, 2020
This is the fourteenth, and last, of my ex post facto shrine reports.
A note on thename: The "tongū" at the end of the name indicates that this is a shrine where a palunquin from another shrine is ceremoniously housed during a festival.
It is not clear when this shrine was founded but in due course it came to house the sacred palanquin of Sumiyoshi Taisha during festivals. It was originally known as Sumiyoshi-no-shukui (宿居) but the name gradually changed to Sumiyoshi-no-shukuin (宿院). From olden times a palanquin from Sumiyoshi Taisha has been ceremoniously carried each summer to Shukuintongū, where, at a site in the west of the shrine known as Iigaibori (飯匙堀), the Aranigo-no-Ōharai Shinj Purification
Sumiyoshi Ōkami 住吉大神
(a composite of the following four kami)
Soko-tsutsu-no-o-mikoto (54A) 底筒男命
Naka-tsutsu-no-o-mikoto (54B) 中筒男命
Uwa-tsutsu-no-o-mikoto (54C) 表筒男命
From Merged Shrines
ceremony is conducted.It is closely connected with the Ōtori Ise Jinja, which was founded in 706 and is a Shiki-nai Sha (a shrine listed in theEngi-shiki). In 1875 the shrine began to act as a host for a palanquin from the nearby Ōtori Taisha. It is also closely connected with the Namiyoke Sumiyoshi Jinja, the palanquin receiving ceremony for which for which is held on July 31, that for Sumiyoshi Taisha on August 1. The Japanese word for border is also sakai, though with a different character, 境, and Sakai was seen as the border between Settsu and Izumi Provinces, for which Sumiyoshi Taisha and Ōtori Taisha were the respective Ichi-no-Miya.
In 1878 Ōtori Ise Jinja was relocated to the grounds of Ōtori Taisha, and in 1922 it was again relocated, this time to the grounds of Shukuintongū. The previous year Namiyoke Sumiyoshi Jinja had been similarly relocated. The twp shrines retained their own buildings but in the reconstruction following the US bombing raids in 1945 the two shrines were combined. This was in 1949.
a note on the kami
The three kami, Soko-tsutsu-no-o-mikoto, Naka-tsutsu-no-o-mikoto, and Uwa-tsutsu-no-o-mikoto, are collectively known as the The Three Great Gods of Suminoye (住吉三神), and were created when Izanagi purified himself of the spiritual pollution resulting from his time in Yomi (Hades) by washing in the ocean. Okinagatarashi-hime-no-mikoto is another name for Empress Consort Jingūkōgō.