Sōbu Main Line
Tōkyō-to, Edogawa-ku, Shishibone-chō 4-9-17
Home page: none
January 25, 2019
It is unclear when this Kashima Jinja was founded, but it is thought to be coeval with that of Shishibone Mura where it is located. It was known as Gosha-Jinmeisha (五社神明社). “Gosha” means five shrines, and the name reflects the settlement of the area of led by a group of five people with the family name of Ishii (石井), each of whom brought their own local deity with them, which deities were in due course jointly enshrined.
There is another account, related to the Sacred Deer (神鹿, Shinroku) memorialised in the shrine. It tells us, although without giving a date, that when Kanoshima Ōkami (鹿島大神) was passing through what is now Shishibone Mura on his way from Kanoshima-gun in Hitachi Province to Kasuga in Nara the deer accompanying him collapsed from illness. The villagers, seeing a strange coincidence in this, built a mound to commemorate the incident. In 1666 a shrine, which is
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
Takemizuchi-no-mikoto (175E) 武甕槌命
and 3 others ほか三神
From Merged Shrines
Sui JInja 水神社
Suga Jinja 須賀神社
Koroku Jinja 胡録神社
Hiei Jinja 日枝神社
Annual Festival: Late September
now this Kashima Jinja, was dedicated to Takemizuchi-no-mikoto、Amaterasu Ōkami and three other kami. Designated as a village shrine in November 1872.
About 2.1km from Koiwa Station. The visual highlight of the shrine is undoubtedly the Sacred Deer monument. The present main hall was built in 1881, the prayer hall in 1919. The in-house Sui Jinja was built in the late 1920s and the Inari-sha in February 1969. The three in-ground sessha—Hie, Suga, Koryoku—were built in February 1988. The koma-inu date from 1896.
(Click on images to expand them)