From Merged Shrines
Mitsumine Jinja 三峰神社
Sengen Jinja 浅間神社
Annual Festival: Nearest Sunday to Sept. 3 every three years
This is one of the "Three Ayase Jinja," and it manages the affairs of the other two, Ayase Jinja and Ayase Kitano Jinja. It was founded in 1614 during the reign of the 108th emperor, Go-Mizunoo, when a group of 69 villagers led by the man who had developed the area which is now Ayase, Kaneko Gobei, cooperated in having the Kami of Fushimi Inari Jinja, Inari Okami, enshrined through the kanjō process. The formal ceremony took place on New Year's Day 1614, the same year in which the Seige of Osaka series of battles between the Toyotomi and Tokugawa forces began.
The shrine’s betto-ji was the then and now adjoining Shingon sect Inariyama KanonTemple. Its name was initially Inari Jinja: in 1874 its name was changed to Gohee Jinja and in 1967 its current name of Ayase Inari Jinja was adopted.
The Mitsumine Jinja in the shrine’s grounds was initially located on the banks of the nearby Ayase River, it was relocated in 1971. Its Kami are Izanagi and Izanami.
The in-ground Sengen Jinja is located at the peak of the Fujizuka located to the left on entering the shine. Its Kami is the goddess Konohanasakuya-hime-no-Mikoto, whose name can be translated as “Princess Blossoming Brilliantly Like the Flowers of the Trees.”
The two koma-inu seen here are often referred to as the Rakugo koma-inu as they were donated to the shrine by the Rakugo artist Enjo Sanyutei 三遊亭圓丈 in the year 2000. The koma-inu at the Sengen Jinja on Shinagawa Jinja’s Fujizuka are also his donations.
The kanji and the small picture of a kitsune on the pedestals in these photos are the work of another Rakugo artist, Kosan Yanagiya V.
(Click on images to expand them)