"...any being whatsoever which possesses some eminent quality out of the ordinary, and is awe-inspiring, is called Kami.”
JR Keihin-tohoku, Nanboku Lines
Tōkyō-to, Kita-ku, Kishi-machi 1-12-26
Ōji Inari Jinja
Home page: none
July 15, 2019
While the date of this Inari Jinja`s foundation is unclear it was in existence in the Kōhei Period (1058-1065): prior to that it was known as Kishi Inari (岸稲荷) in reference to its location on the bank of the River Arakawa (“Kishi” means bank or coast). The shrine was sufficiently revered for Minamoto Yoriyoshi to declare it the leading Inari Jinja in Kantō. At that time Kantō included areas as far as east (or north) as Mutsu Province and was referred to as the Thirty-three Eastern Provinces (東国三十三国).
In 1180 Minamoto Yoritomo dedicated set(s) of chest armour, long sword(s) and other items to the shrine. The late Hōjō clan favoured the shrine on their accession to regional power. On its part the Tokugawa Bakufu designated both this shrine and the nearby Ōji Jinja as official prayer halls for the family. In 1634 and again in 1703 they financed shrine renovations. In 1822 the 11th Shōgun, Ienari, had a prayer hall built. This still exists, but the main hall was burnt down in the fire bombing of April 13, 1945 and rebuilt in 1960.
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
From Merged Shrines
Kameyama Jinja 亀山神社
Miishi Inari Jinja 御石稲荷神社
Kitamura Inari Jinja 北村稲荷神社
Ureshinomori Inari Jinja 嬉野森稲荷神社
Hongū Inari Jinja 本宮稲荷神社
Ichikishima Jinja 市杵島神社
Annual Festival: First "Horse Day" of February.
This is one of those Jinja, particularly common among Inari ones, which seems to have just grown in splendid disorder. It shares its grounds with an affiliated kindergarten and the day I visited the latter seemed to be holding some kind of festival. There were children all over the place and the staircase leading up to the main hall from the main torii was blocked off. The sandō from the second torii, situated up a hill to the left of the shrine, was not blocked off and the main hall was surrounded by mama-chari (ママチャリ, bicycles equipped with, among other things, one or more child seats, and shopping baskets).
The prayer hall is quite interesting and a torii to its right leads to the Hongū Inari Jinja and a small torii tunnel from there leads on to the other in-ground shrines
(Click on images to expand them)