Tōkyō-to, Setagaya-ku, Yoga 2-16-26 東京都世田谷区用賀2-16-26 July 31, 2022
Emperor Ōjin 応神天王
Empress Jingū 神功皇后
Emperor Chūai 仲哀天王
From Merged Shrines
Kofuku Jinja 幸福稲荷神社
Annual Festival: October 8/9
Just to avoid any confusion, this shrine takes its name from the district in Tokyo in which it is located, not from the ashram activity.
It is said that it was initially known as Tenso Jinja, but little is really known about its foundation. Yoga Village was established between 1558 and 1573. Yoga Jinja as we know it today is the result of several shrines being merged in 1908. One of these merged shrines, Usa Jinja, is thought to have been founded sometime during the Tensho Period (1573-1591) with the enshrinement of the deity of Tsuragaoka Hachiman-Gu via the kanjō process.
On November 27, 1872 Usa Jinja was given Village Shrine ranking, and on August 11, 1908 it was merged with Tenso Jinja, which was on the site which is now Yoga Jinja, along with four other local shrines, Kitano Jinja, Itsukushima Jinja, Inari Jinja, and Yamagiwa Jinja. On November 7 of the same year the new complex was named Yoga Jinja after its location.
The current main and prayer halls date to 1977. At that time Japanese cypress wood, the preferred building material, was difficult to come by in Tokyo and the shrine had to source it directly from Kiso in Nagano Prefecture. The old shrine buildings were dismantled and rebuilt at Kyodo Tenso Jinja, like Yoga Jinja located in Tokyo’s Setagaya-ku.
(Click on images to expand them)