Keio Inokashira Line
Kitazawa Hachiman Jinja
Home page: None
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
From Merged Shrines
Jingū Kōgō 神功皇后
Nintoku tennō 仁徳天王
Benten Sha 弁天社
Atago Inari Sha 愛宕稲荷社
Chōei Inari Sha 長栄稲地社
Noyashiki Inari Sha 野屋敷稲荷社
Maruka Inari Sha 円海稲荷社
Kōratamatare Jinja 高良玉垂社
Ubusuna Sha 産土社
Earliest mention of: 1469-1487
Annual Festival: First Sat. & Sun. of September
The shrine notice board tells us that it was established sometime during the Bunmei Period (1469-1487) by the then lord of Setagaya Castle, Kira Yoriyasu (吉良頼康) through the Kanjō process. In the Edo Period it seems to have become a beneficiary of official approval. In 1650 an official document recording a donation of 7 shoku 4 shō to the shrine by the then administrator of the area, Saitō Settsu, noted that there had been a similar donation previously. Further evidence of the shrine’s popularity is provided by a note dating to 1682 that the box containing small donations made by visitors praying at the shrine had been stolen. Unfortunately, there is no written record of any of this, as the shrine’s betto-ji, the nearby Moriiwao Temple, where the shrine's records were stored, was destroyed by fire in 1812.
The shrine was originally known as Nanasawa-Hassha-Zuiichi Hachima-Gū (七沢八社随一正八幡宮), a name deriving from the presence of seven villages in the Setagaya area with names ending in “sawa” (沢, meaning swamp) containing a total of eight Hachiman-Gū, the most prominent (随一, Zuiichi) of which was the Kitazawa one. This name is still displayed on the Shingaku in the main hall.
The current main hall was built in 1978. Its predecessor, which was built in 1852, has become the in-ground Ubusuna Jinja. The Kagura Hall, initially built in 1893, was remodelled in 2004.
About 700 metres from Ikunoue Station. While the main shrine hall is interesting, the real attraction of this shrine for me is the collection of seven in-ground shrines listed above. They are to be found to the left and right of the main hall and each one of them has its own notice board naming the enshrined deity and giving a brief history. Someof them have wooden carvings, which, while quite intricate, are somewhat generic. The pair of koma-inu in front of the prayer hall date to 1852.
(Click on images to expand them)