Tōkyō-to, Ota-ku, Sanno 1-6-2 東京都大田区山王1-６−２ June 20, 2022
Eiri Inari Jinja 栄利稲荷神社
Sanno Inari Jinja 山王稲荷神社
Annual Festival: 3rd Saturday
and Sunday of September
This shrine was originally in the grounds of the mansion of the headman of Araijuku village, Arai Gonzaemon, and took its name, Sanno Sha, from the deity worshipped there, Sanno Gongen. The head shrine of the Hiyoshi/Hiei/Sanno grouping is Hiyoshi Taisha on Lake Biwa. and it is thought that (Hiyoshi) Sanno Gongen was enshrined here through the kanjō process.
The Araijuku area was ruled by the Hatamoto Clan with what by the late seventeenth century had become an iron hand, and in 1677 the villagers asked the then ruler of the domain, Kihara Yoshinaga 木原義永 for relief from crippling land taxes. When their request was refused the villagers decided to appeal directly to the Bakufu government in Edo for relief. A group of six villagers set out for Edo but were waylaid en route by agents of the Hatamoto Clan and all six were beheaded.
Later in the Edo Period the Buddhist temple Naritasan Ennoji (成田山圓能寺), became the shrine’s betto-ji. In 1868 shrine and temple were separated in accordance with Shinbutsu Bunri, although they are still adjoining, and the shrine adopted its current name. In 1923 the shrine buildings were rebuilt and on June 8 of that year it was given village shrine ranking. In June 1945 it was completely destroyed during the US fire bombings; largely through the efforts of parishioners rebuilding was completed in 1960.
(Click on images to expand them)