Tōkyō-to, Meguro-ku, Kamimeguro 2-32-15 東京都目黒区上目黒2-32-15 Oct. 4, 1022
Kamimeguro Tenso Jinja
Nearest station: Yutenji Line: Toyoko
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
From Merged Shrines
Annual Festival: 1st Saturday of September
The area which this shrine serviced had long been known as Ise Forest (伊勢森). The enshrined Kami is Amaterasu Okami. When the shrine was founded is unclear, but the presence within its grounds of several trees a few centuries old could mean that the shrine is of a similar age.
The current shrine buildings were built in 1933. The annual festival, held on the first Saturday in September, is conducted largely under two groups of parishioners, Yutenji Town Council members, and the Isewaki Town Association.
With the introduction of the new municipal system in 1889 what had been the three villages of Kami-, Naka- and Shimo- Meguro were, along with Mita village, combined to create one Meguro village. Isewaki was the name of a district in Kamimeguro.
The shrine grounds contain two koshinto, one dating to 1708, the other to 1716. Both are designated as cultural assets by Meguro-ku. The Three Wise Monkeys can be vaguely deciphered in the picture to the left.
Perhaps not surprisingly, the presence of several trees a few centuries old has, as with Karasumori Inari Jinja, led to the “preserved forest” designation, the seventh in Meguro-ku. It is 1,088 sq.m. in area and consists mostly of Gingko, Zelkova, and Bamboo Leaved Oak Trees.
(Click on images to expand them)