"...any being whatsoever which possesses some eminent quality out of the ordinary, and is awe-inspiring, is called Kami.”
Tōkyō-to, Shinagawa-ku, Ōi 6-18-36 東京都品川区大井6-18-36 June 8, 2022
In 969 a monk of the nearby Jogyo Temple, Soei-Hoin, established this Kashima Jinja by enshrining the Kami of Kashima Jingu of Hitachi Province (essentially the current Ibaragi-ken) through the kanjō procedure. This was the second and last year of the reign of the 62nd emperor, Reizai.
The temple which functioned as the shrine’s betto-ji until the Meiji Restoration, Raigo-in, was founded at the same time and is said to have been given a carving of Yakushi Nyorai by Ennin. In 1653 Raigo-in moved to its present site in Minami Shinagawa.
With the Shinbutsu Bunri of 1868 the shrine and the temple were separated: the shrine was named Kashima Jinja and it was given Village Shrine status.
The current main hall dates from 1931. Its predecessor, built in 1862, became the current in-ground shrine housing the five jinja
Kotohira Jinja 金刀比羅神社
Tenso Jinja 天祖神社
Hachiman Jinja 八幡神社
Inari Jinja 稲荷神社
Mitsumine Jinja 三峯神社
Annual Festival: 3rd and 4th Sunday of October
shown above to the right, and here. In 1988 the shrine was designated as one of the “One Hundred Scenic Spots in Shinagawa”.
Along with Hikawa Jinja in Shibuya and Hachiman-Gu in Setagaya this is one of the Three Edo Sumo Jinja. Bouts had been held at the shrine from fairly early in its history but for some reason they were discontinued in 1817. Thirty years later however, they were resumed following pressure from the then Oi village headman, Ono Kanzo, and have continued to this day
(click on images to expand them)