In 1626 a large sandbank emerged in the mouth of the old Meguro River, and a Buddhist monk, Takuan, from the Tōkai-ji temple, established a small shrine there, the Susaki Benten, to worship Bentenzai. Between 1774 and 1834 the area was developed as part of the Shinagawa-shuku, the first of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. The development was led by Kagata Kichizaemon and both the area and Takuan’s Bentenzai shrine took the Kagata name.
About five minutes on foot from Kita-Shinagawa station Kagata Jinja is undoubtedly best known for its whale mound.
In May 1798 a large whale was washed ashore and taken by the local fishermen. It was put on display in the Hama Palace, now the Hama Detached Palace, and no less illustrious a person than the 11th Tokugawa Shogun, Ienari, was one of the visitors. The bones were later buried in the grounds of the Kagata Jinja and a mound built on top.
金槌稲荷神社 Kanazuchi Inari Jinja
Earliest mention of: 1626?
Annual Festival: June