"...any being whatsoever which possesses some eminent quality out of the ordinary, and is awe-inspiring, is called Kami.”
Tōkyō-to, Shinjuku-ku, Ichigaya-hachiman-chō 15
Home page: (Japanese)
May 25, 2019
This Hachiman-Gū's beginnings can be traced back to 1479 when Ōta Dōkan set up a shrine to act as a spiritual guardian of Edo’s western approaches. The deity of Kamakura's Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gū was enshrined using the kanjō process and the name Kameoka Hachiman-Gū was modelled on the Kamakura shrine.
The shrine fell victim to warfare sometime during the Tenshō Period (1573-1593) and was apparently left to decay. However, just a few years later it was rebuilt by a monk from the shrine's betto-ji. In 1636 construction of the outer moat around Edo Castle was finished and shortly after this the shrine was moved to its current location which at that time was home to the Chanoki Inari (茶ノ木稲荷) Jinja. After this, the Tokugawa's, possibly beginning with Keishōin (桂昌院), concubine of the third Tokugawa Shōgun,
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
Okinagatarashihime (Shoki) 気長足姫尊
From Merged Shrines
Chanoki Inari Jinja 茶の木稲荷神社
Shussei Inari Jinja 出世稲荷神社
Annual Festival: August 13- 15
Iemitsu, were keen supporters of the shrine, helping it survive the odd fire and other calamities. This also helped the Monzenmachi area, where the shrine is located, to flourish until the end of the Bakufu. Come early 1945, however, and there was no protection against the firebombing and large parts of the shrine were razed to the ground. It was 1962 before reconstruction was complete.
About 200m from Ichigaya Statuion. One thing which did survive the 1945 firebombing is the bronze torii, the only one of its kind in Shinjuku-ku. This was erected in 1804 and it was cast by Nishimura Izumi Fujiwara-Masahiro (西村和泉藤原政平), the fifth generation master of the Nishimura Izumi school of metal casting. Note that the bronze torii at the Hirakawa Tenman-Gū was cast by the 12th master of the same school Masatoki (西村和泉藤原政時). The pair of koma-inu in front of the prayer hall also date to 1804.
(Click on images to expand them)