(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
From Merged Shrines
Annual Festival: Nearest Sunday to August 15
One of those shrines of more historic than visual appeal. Its origin is said to lie in a shrine called the Ebisusaburō-sha (夷三郎社) situated at the northeast of Minamoto Yoritomo's palace to protect against the evil influences thought to emanate from that direction (Kimon, lit. Demon's Gate). In 1436, a temple, Hongaku-ji, was built on the site of the Ebisusaburō-sha; the latter was incorporated into the temple and renamed the Ebisu-Dō. Ebisu quickly became the temple’s
guardian deity and widely revered among the local population. With the enactment of the Shinbutsu Bunri following the Meiji Restoration, the Ebisu-Dō was moved to the shrine’s current location and deities from two temples, Hongaku-ji ‘s Shichimen-Daimyōjin (七面大明神) and Hōkai-ji's Sannō-Kongen (山王大権現), were jointly enshrined there. Following its formal renaming as Ebisu Jinja, the new entity was given the rank of village shrine in 1873. To commemorate this, a new main hall, donated by a subsidiary shrine of the Tsurugaoka Hachimangū, Imamiya, was erected in August of the following year. In October 1940 a new Prayer Hall was built, and the shrine was designated a Shinsen-heihakuryō-kyōshin-jinja
About 5 mins on foot from Kamakura Station. Note that the kanji used for Ebisu in the shrine's name (蛭子, lit. Leech Child) are different from those usually used (恵比寿) when referring to Ebisu as one of the Seven Lucky Gods.
(Click on images to expand them)