It is said that this Inari Jinja was founded in 1227 by the son of a senior government official, Nagashima Sumitada (?), (長島維忠) of what was then Awa Province.
There is an oral tradition that during the Manji Period (1658-1661) Tokugawa Yorinobu (徳川頼宣), the tenth son of Tokugawa Ieyasu, built a villa near to the coast of Hirakata Bay, to the south of what is now Nojima Park. The villa was named Shioburo Palace (塩風呂御, lit. Saltwater Bath Palace) and it turned out that the Nojima Inari Jinja was to the northeast, i.e. the inauspicious Kimon direction. The then parishioners of the shrine took great pride in defending the palace against the misfortunes possibly emanating from the northeast and apparently made continual improvements to the shrine. “Apparently,” because the betto-ji at the time was a temple called Zenō-ji (善応寺), now located in Yokosuka,
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
From Merged Shrines
Akiba Jinja 秋葉神社
Kotohira Jinja 金毘羅神社
Annual Festival: 1st Sunday of July
and virtually all of its historical documents were lost to fire.
Nevertheless, there is some evidence that on seven occasions between 1664 and 1860 renovation work was carried out. The shrine's existence is attested to by its mention in, among other things, the Shinpen-Kamakura-shi and the Edo-meisho-zue. Moving into better documented times, the shrine was given village shrine ranking in 1873, and this was followed in 1913 by designation as a Shinsen-heihakuryō-kyōshin-jinja. In between these status changes three unranked shrines in the then village--Amaterasu Ōkami, Itsukushima Jinja, Tenman-Gū--were absorbed.
About 700m from Nojima Koen Station, the last half of it skirting Nojima Koen to the left. The shrine is situated on a hill, and the stairway leading up to the main hall and inground shrines is lined with six pairs of interesting kitsune. The inground shrines are for the most part set into the hill and the overall view is almost specular in a muted way. Using the Kanazawa Seaside Line, a quite comfortable monorail, it is easy to combine a visit to this shrine with visits to Tomioka Hachiman-Gū and Seto Jinja.