Kanagawa-ken, Yokohama-shi,  Naka-ku, Hinode-machi 2-132神奈川県横浜市中区日ノ出町2-132     November 6, 2021

Original.png

    子神社

    Ne Jinja

homepage (None)

Nearest station: Hinodechō    Line:Keikyu (KK39)

Sacred Tokyo 40 Shinto Shrines

Enshrined Kami:  

Main

Ōkuni-nushi-Okami     大國主大神

 

From Merged Shrines

None

In-ground Shrines: 

None

​Annual Festival:  August 21

This is one of three Ne Jinja in the Yokohama area. The other two are in  Hodogaya-ku and Minami-ku. There are very few in the rest of Japan.

Said to have been established around 600 AD during the reign of Empress Suiko. In the 12th century Tofuku-ji became its betto-ji. In 1457 Tofuku-ji  moved to its, and presumably the shrine's, current site (they are separated by about 300m as the crow flies). Prior to that it had been subject to depradations by pirates.

In 1575 it was burnt to the ground during war.  In 1594 the  then governor of the province, Echizen Matsudaira (越前松平), erected so-called “ roadside prohibition-edict boards” (禁制札) at each of the four corners of the shrine. Prior to this it had

Ne Jinja 子神社

been badly damaged by fire several times. These were intended to protect the sacred grounds and the shrine became known as the  “Hito-izure-no-Miya” (人不入斗宮, lit. No people allowed shrine). In 1825 it was again badly damaged by fire.

In 1865 it was merged with several other local shrines, and in 1873 was given village shrine ranking. In 1915 work on a large expansion of the shrine was completed, and the following year it was given Shinsen-heihaku-ryokyoshin-jinja ranking.

(Click on images to expand them)

Ne Jinja 子神社
Ne Jinja 子神社
Ne Jinja 子神社
Ne Jinja 子神社
Ne Jinja 子神社
Ne Jinja 子神社
Ne Jinja 子神社
Ne Jinja 子神社
Ne Jinja 子神社
Ne Jinja 子神社
a101_resize.JPG
Ne Jinja 子神社

Saruta-hiko Mikoto

Ne Jinja 子神社