Ōkunitama Ōkami 大國魂大神
Ōtori Jinja 大鳥神社
Tenso Jinja 天祖神社
Koyasu Jinja 子安神社
Ontake Jinja 御嶽神社
Annual Festival: September 23, 24
The shrine’s home page tells us that in December 1584 a descendant of Taira Sadamori, Hattori Sadatane服部貞胤, founded the shrine by enshrining Okunitama Okami, the Kami of the venerable Okunitama Jinja in Fuchi-shi, through the kanjō process. However, the historical records of the time were destroyed during the frequent fires at the end of the Kamakura Period and the shrine’s origins are in fact unclear.
Later, descendants of Hattori Sadatane served in various high ranking government posts, including overseeing the trade with the Dutch in Nagasaki, and some of their graves are in the Shingon sect Daifuku Temple. This had been the shrine’s betto-ji and is 700m to its west.
In 1787 the main hall was rebuilt. In 1874 the shrine was officially recognised as the village shrine of Akatsutsumi Village. The current main hall and Kagura hall date to 1969.
(Click on images to expand them)