"...any being whatsoever which possesses some eminent quality out of the ordinary, and is awe-inspiring, is called Kami.”
Tōkyū Dennentoshi Line
Tōkyō-to, Setagaya-ku, Shinmachi 2-17-1
Hisatomi Inari Jinja
June 13, 2017
The origin of this Inari Jinja is not clear, but the Shin-pen-Musashi-Fudo-Kiko does mention a local Shintō deity covering about 50 households in the village of Shinmachi. It also says that there were three Inari Jinja in the village: one of the other two was the still extant Itomi Inari Jinja, about 750 metres as the crow flies from Hisatomi Inari. The third shrine no longer exists, it was probably merged into another shrine. The current main shrine building was rebuilt in 1931, the shrine office in 1986.
About 600 metres from Sakurashinmachi Station. The shrine has two distinctive features. The first is the 250m long sandō (approach road) to the rear of the shrine, the second is the Fukurō-no-sha (The Owl Shrine).
The sandō passes through a residential district so it is used as much by local people as by visitors to the shrine. Nevertheless the five torii that punctuate it on its way to the shrine serve their function of marking the difference between the mundane and the sacred very effectively.
From Merged Shrines
Earliest mention of:
Annual Festival: October 2
As regards the Owl Shrine, the shrine's home page tells us that in the mid-Shōwa Period (1950's) there was an old tree in the shrine grounds in which owls nested. During the night it was difficult to make out the form of the owls as they flew around and when visitors to the shrine actually saw one they would exclaim "a dream has come true." Dedication of a small shrine followed. A Fukurō Festival, actually a flea market, is held twice a year, in May and November.