"...any being whatsoever which possesses some eminent quality out of the ordinary, and is awe-inspiring, is called Kami.”
東京Tōkyō-to, Taitō-ku, Torikoe 2-4-1 都台東区鳥越2-4-1 November 6, 2022
Nearest station: Kuramae Lines: Toei Asakusa , Toei Oedo
From Merged Shrines
Tokugawa Ieyasu 徳川家康
Fukuju Shrine 福寿神社
Annual Festival: Nearest Sat/Sun to June 9
During the reign of the legendary Emperor Keiko, 71-130, Yamato-Takeru is said to have decided that this location was a good place for worship and built a jinja enshrining his two imperial ancestors. Moving into historical times, 651, the inhabitants of Shiratori (White Bird) Village, as the area was then known, named the shrine Shiratori Myojin and this is seen as the origin of the current shrine.
During the Early Nine Years' War (1051-1063) the father/son team of Minamoto Yoriyoshi and Yoriie were passing through the area when a white bird flying above them led them to a ford in the River Sumida where they were able to take their army across. Attributing the appearance of the bird to divine help they renamed Shiratori Myojin as Torikoe (lit. "Bird Crossing") Daimyojin.
Until the Edo Period there were two other shines in the area, Atsuta Jinja and Dairokuten Sakaki Shrine. Together the three shrines sat on about 66,000 sq.m. of land. In 1620 the Shogunate decided to build a rice storehouse on the bank of the River Sumida in Kuramae. To provide soil for necessary landfills Mt. Torigoe, where the Daimyojin was located, was levelled and the land seized by the Shogunate. Furthermore, Lake Himegaike to the north of the Daimonjin was seized and filled in and the reclaimed land uses as mansions for daimyo. Of the three shrines, Asuta Jinja was moved to Imado Jinja, Dairokuten Sakaki Shrine was moved to a new location, Morita-cho, now known as Kuramae san-chome, where it is still to be found. Torikoe Daimyojin is the present Torikoe Jinja.
(Click on images to expand them)