Nearest station

Sugita

 Keikyū Line

Kanagawa-ken, Yokohama-shi,  Isogo-ku, 杉田町5-2-1

神奈川県横浜市磯子区杉田町5-2-1

 

八幡宮 (杉田)

    Hachiman-Gū (Sugita)

 

Home page: (Japanese) none

December 26, 2018

History

Said to have been founded in August 1063 by Minamoto Yoshiie along with the foundation of Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gū in Kamakura  by his father Yoriyoshi. This was to commemorate their victory in the Early Nine Years War in the northern Mutsu Province. In 1192 Minamoto Yoritomo presented the shrine with land in what was then known as Kuraki district (久良岐郡). In the Edo period the shrine came to be recognized as the tutelary deity for Sugita village and was rebuilt in 1674. . In 1873  village shrine ranking; was given, followed in 

a101.JPG

Enshrined Kami:  

Main

(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names

refer to position in How Many Kami table)

Homuda-wake-no-mikoto             品陀和氣命

 

From Merged Shrines

None

In-ground Shrines:

Inari JInja  稲荷神社

 

​Annual Festival:  August 25

 

a103.JPG

due course by Shinsen-heihakuryō-kyōshin-jinja designation. The current main hall dates to 1968.

Description

There is not a lot to see at this Hachiman-gū. Its most interesting feature is the pair of koma-inu situated directly in front of the main hall, which, until the shinbutsu bunri belonged to the shrine's betto-ji, Myōkan-ji. They were carved in 1693, and were designated as tangible cultural properties​ by Yokohama city in 1989.

(Click on images to expand them)

a102.JPG
a106.JPG
a100.JPG
a104.JPG
h111-44.JPG
h111-13.JPG
a112.JPG
a114.JPG
a117.JPG
DSC00028.JPG
a109.JPG
a108.JPG
h111-31.JPG
a111.JPG
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© Rod Lucas 2016-2019

All text and photos by Lucas unless otherwise stated