JR Osaka Loop Line
Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Tennōji-ku, Daidō 3-7-3
Kobore Inari Jinja
26 July, 2020
This is the tenth of the ex post facto shrine reports I compiled while under continuing self-imposed isolation after the Covid-19 State of Emergency in Tōkyō was lifted.
Like Ōe Jinja, Kobori Inari Jinja is one of the The Seven Shitennoji Miya. The precursor of this shrine may date to the reign of the semi-legendary 12th Emperor, Keiko (reigned 71–130). It is thought to have been founded in a place then called Hirugaoka with Inari as the enshrined kami. When Shōtoku Taishi had Shitennoji Temple built in 593 a main hall was built at the shrine and Emperor Sushun ( 崇峻天皇, 520-592) was jointly enshrined.
According to the Shoku Nihongi, a high-ranking government official in Settsu Province, Wake no Kiyomaro (和気清麻呂) started large scale riparian works on the
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
Emperor Sushun 崇峻天皇
From Merged Shrines
Wakamiya Hachiman-Gū 若宮八幡宮
Ōjū Jinja 櫻樹神社
land border between Settsu Province and Kawachi Province in March 788. The purpose was to develop new agricultural land and ward off water damage. Part of the process involved praying for success at the shrine. Along with this, the name of the area was changed from Kobore (古保礼) to Kawahara. Nine centuries later, a donation from Katagiri Katsumoto (片桐且元, 1556-1615,) enabled the construction of a splendid new prayer hall linked to the main hall by a connecting passageway. The Katagiri clan served the Minamoto Clan, and Katsumoto himself is probably best remembered as being one of the Seven Spears of Shizugatake, a group of samurai who served as personal bodyguards to Toyotomi Hideyoshi in the Battle of Shizugatake in 1583. Slightly over a century later, in 1689, Susanono Mitoko (素盞鳴尊) the enfant terrible of the Japanese pantheon, was jointly enshrined. In 1907 Shimizudani Inari Jinja, which is thought to have been the tutelary shrine inside Ōsaka Castle, was merged into the shrine and the current name of Kobore Inari Jinja was adopted. The prayer hall, which had existed since the sixteenth century, was destroyed during the US bombing raids of 1945. Reconstruction was completed in 1950.