Date of origin is unclear, but according to legend there was a small shrine on top of a round burial mound and during the Shōgunate it was called Shinmei-sha. In March 1873 it was renamed Tenso Jinja and was given village status ranking in the following year.
15 minutes' walk from Nishidai Station. The current main hall dates from 1992. The torii, erected in 1796, is described by the Itabashi-ku Department of Education as the oldest Shinmyō type torii in the ward. Jinja.tokyolovers, however, questions this description, saying that the torii is in fact of the Munakata type. The komainu pair in front of the prayer hall was erected in October 1998.
With the exception of the Inari Jinja, all the in-ground shrines are small stone constructions. Of these the one
From Merged Shrines
Yakumo Jinja 八雲神社
Ise Jinja 伊勢神社
Kizuki Jinja 杵築神社
Kasuga Jinja 春日神社
Sui Jinja 水神社
Inari Jinja 稲荷神社
Annual Festival: September 21
which will catch the eye of most visitors, although strictly speaking not a jinja, is the one known as Oshiwabuki-sama (おしわぶき様) or Shabuki-sama(しゃぶき)様): it is a representation of a phallus, which, until the Shin-butsu Bunri was housed in a nearby temple, Kyōtoku-ji (京徳寺). It is described on the shrine's information board as a shintai and as an ishigami (石神, (lit. "stone god".) Japanese abounds in homophones, and the character for stone, 石 ishi,, can also be read as "seki," meaning cough, which is written with the character 咳, and by a process of transference Oshiwabuki is seen as safeguarding the faithful against coughing and infectious diseases in general. Additionally, there is a clear link between the phallus and childbirth and Oshiwabuki seen as helping with the latter.