Tōkyō-to, Sumida-ku Kinshichō 1-6-12

東京都墨田区錦糸1-6-12          

津軽稲荷神社 

Tsugaru Inari Jinja

Home page: None

Dec 31, 2016

Nearest station

Kinshicho

Chūō/Hanzōmon Lines

History                                                                         

The site on which this shrine stands was originally the Edo residence of the Tsugaru family of the Hirosaki Domain, in what is now Aomori-ken. Like many Japanese residences there was an Inari Jinja on the premises. In 1910 the property incurred substantial flood damage and ownership was transferred to the neighbourhood association. This association  was renamed in 1932 and the kami of the shrine, an offshoot of the Fushima Inari Jinja, was recognized as the neighbourhood's guardian deity. The shrine was badly damaged in both the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 and the firebombing raids of 1945 and was rebuilt in 1960. The torii was rebuilt in 1969 in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Meiji Restoration. The Benzaiten shrine is an offshoot of the Enoshima Benzaiten.

Description

A typical small, neighbourhood shrine ten minutes or so on foot  from the #3 exit of the Kinshichō JR station. Its history is more interesting than its visual appeal.

Enshrined Deities:  

Main

宇賀御魂神   Uka-no-mitama-kami              

From Merged Shrines

None

In-ground Shrines: 

弁財天社                 Benzaiten Sha

Earliest mention of:        

Annual Festival:              

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© Rod Lucas 2016-2019

All text and photos by Lucas unless otherwise stated