Tokaichiba, JR Yokohama Line
home page: None
November 23, 2016
Much of the information available on this Sugiyama shrine comes from the plaque commemorating its rebuilding in 1982. The inscription on the plaque claims that by virtue of its having been one of the six shrines in the courtyard of the Ookunitama Jinja it is the Engi-Shiki Sugiyama Jinja. Ookunitama Jinja, located in what is now Fuchū City in western Tōkyō, became the administrative centre of the Musashi region following the Taika Reforms of 645. Perhaps coincidentally, legend has it that Ookunitama Jinja was established in 111 during the reign of the Emperor Keiko, which also saw the birth of Iso Takeru, the main deity of the shrine.
According to the Shin-pen-Musashi-Fudo-Kiko, during the Edo Period its shintai was a statue of the Buddhist deity Fudō-Myōō.
In 1910 the shrine was merged with four unranked shrines and in 1920 it was formally designated as a “Village Shrine,” a ranking it still holds.