Nearest station

Tamagawa

 Tōkyū Tōyoko Line

Tōkyō-to, Ōta-ku, Den-en Chōfu  1-55-12

東京都大田区田園調布1-55-12

多摩川浅間神社

  Tamagawa Sengen Jinja

January 27, 2018

History

Tamagawa Sangen Jinja is said to have been founded between 1185 and 1190 when Minamoto Yoritomo was leading a military expedition to a place called Matsuzaki Takanokawa in what is now the north of Tōkyō.  Fearful for his life, his wife, Hōjō Masako, went looking for him, but when she was in what is now Tamagawa she had to have treatment for injuries to her feet caused by the ill-fitting straw sandals she was wearing. At about that time she ascended Mt. Kamenoko (亀甲山), from where she had a clear view of Mt Fuji. Tightly clutching a statue of Seikanzenon Bodhisattva she was carrying with her, she prayed for the continuing military success of her husband. On finding out about this the local villagers called the statue Fujisangen Daibosatsu, and what is now the Tamagawa Sangen Jinja developed around this incident. In 1907 two smaller local shrines, Kumano Jinja and Akagi Jinja, were absorbed under the terms of the Jinja Gōshi order of the previous year.

Enshrined Kami:  

Main

(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names

refer to position in How Many Kami table)

Konohanasakuya-hime (119B)    木花開耶姫命

 

From Merged Shrines

None

In-ground Shrines:

Afuri Jinja                                阿夫利神社

Mitsumine Jinja                     三峯神社

Inari Jinja                                稲荷神社

Komitake Jinja                       小御岳神社

Earliest mention of:   

Annual Festival:  First Saturday of June 

​Description

One or two minutes on foot from the south exit of Tamagawa Station. The main hall was rebuilt in 1973, and the pair of komainu in front of it date to 1914.  The shrine is located on the eponymously named Sengenjinja Kofun (burial mound), one of the seven kofun which make up the Denenchōfu Kofun group. The latter is in turn one of the two kofun groups, the other is the Noge kofun group, which make up the Ebaradai Kofun Group. There is a large parking lot/observation deck overlooking Tama River, which on a clear day affords a good view of Mt. Fuji. For this reason there is no Fujizuka inside the shrine grounds. A visit to this shrine could well be combined with one to the Tamagawadai Park, which has many other attractions besides the kofun group, and possibly a walk along the Tama River.

(Click on images to expand them)

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© Rod Lucas 2016-2019

All text and photos by Lucas unless otherwise stated