Nearest station

Ōji

JR/Namboku Subway Lines

Tōkyō-to, Kita-ku, Ōjihon-chō 1-1-12

東京都北区王子本町1-1-12

王子神社

   Ōji Jinja

Home page: (Japanese) 

July 11, 2019

History

Origins are unclear but it is said that Minamoto Yoriie held a memorial service there for the fallen while he was active in the Early Nine Years War (1051-1063) in Mutsu Province. He is also said to have donated a set of his armour. In 1332 the then feudal lords of the area, the Toyoshima clan, introduced the worship of the kami of the Kumano Sansha, Ōji Ōkami (王子大神), and renamed the shrine Nyakuichiōji-Gū (若一王子宮). The Hōjō clan were also benefactors, donating land, as, seemingly inevitably, were the Tokugawas. In 1591 Ieyasu granted a 200 koku trading license, and in 1634 Iemitsu ordered a retainer, Sakai Utanokami (酒井雅楽頭), to build a new main hall. Repairs were carried out in 1782 and again in 1820. After being destroyed in the

Enshrined Kami:  

Main

(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names

refer to position in How Many Kami table)

Izanagi-no-mikoto (13A)                 伊邪那岐命

Izanami-no-mikoto (13B)                伊邪那美命

Amaterasu Ōkami (55)                   天照大

 

From Merged Shrines

Hayatama-no-o-no-Mikoto         速玉男命

Kotosakao-no-mikoto                     事解男命

In-ground Shrines:

Seki Jinja                                             関神社

 

​Annual Festival:  Three days in early August  

Ōji Jinja  王子神社

1945 firebombing the first stage of rebuilding was completed in 1964, the second and last one in 1982.

Description

3 min on foot from Ōji Station. Although one of The Ten Tōkyō Shrines it is one of those jinja where the visual appeal comes in  a very poor second to the historical appeal.  This stricture applies even to the jinja's one in-ground shrine, Seki Jinja, which, while not much to look at, does have an interesting story to tell. It's three enshrined deities are Semimaru ko (蝉丸公), Sakagami-hime (逆髪姫), and Furuya Bijo (古屋美女). By some accounts Semimaru-ko was the fourth son of the 60th emperor, Daigo, and Sakagami was his younger sister. As indicated by her name,   which literally  means "reverse hair princess," her hair grew directly upwards, and, unsurprisingly, she developed a severe complex about this. Semimaru instructed Furuya-bijo, one of the household's lady maids, to consult with various hairpiece/wig makers about finding a solution, which she succeeded in doing. Seki Jinja is one of just a handful of shrines dedicated to these kami, and when it was reconstructed in 1969 after being burnt down the necessary financing came primarily from  the wig making and associated industries and dancing and theatre companies. 

(Click on images to expand them)

Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
Ōji Jinja  王子神社
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© Rod Lucas 2016-2019

All text and photos by Lucas unless otherwise stated