It is said that this Hie Jinja was founded on June 14, 809 during the reign of the 50th Emperor, Kanmu, by the second son of one of the emperor’s legitimate children, Prince Tsunesada (貞恒親王), Yamamoto Heisaemon (山本平左衛門尉) who, together with his younger brother Jirōsaemon (二郎左衛門), built a shrine in a place then called Inageshō Kawasaki-mura (稲毛庄河崎村). The shrine was known as Sannō Gongen, reflecting the name of the enshrined deity
who was adopted through the bunrei process from Hiyoshi Taisha in Otsu Province, the main shrine (sōhongū) of the near 5,000 strong Hiyoshi/Hie/Sannō shrine grouping. Shortly afterwards, in 809, the shrine was moved further to the west, to Maruko, its current location, in response to a divine intimation.
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
From Merged Shrines
Tateminakata-no-mikoto (111) 建御名方命
Inari Jinja 稲荷神社
Ōwashi Jinja 大鷲神社
Annual Festival: September 14, 15
Over two centuries later, in May 1178, the then Minister of the Interior, Taira Shigemori, sent a senior retainer to Kantō; this resulted in the rebuilding of the shrine, and along with this a treasured 9寸5分の剱 sword was dedicated. With the advent of the Tokugawa regime more substantive help was forthcoming in the form of a 25 koku trading license, which was awarded on August 17, 1642 during the reign of the third Tokugawa, Iemitsu.
A further 227 years later, 1869 to be precise, the name of the shrine was changed to Hie Jinja, and in 1918, seven local shrines—Hachiman, Tenman, Dairokuten, Kumano, Shinmei, Suwa, Sugiyama—were merged into it. In 1928 the Hall of Offerings and the Prayer Hall were rebuilt after being destroyed during the Great Kantō Earthquake of 1923.
About 650m from Shinmaruko Station and close to the Tamagawa River. There are many items of interest scattered around the shrine grounds. Among these are the Sarugami (猿神, lit. “monkey god), shown in these photos. These are part of the Sannō Shintō tradition—remember the original name of Hie Jinja was Sannō Gongen—and are seen as messengers from Hiyoshi Taisha to other Hiyoshi/Hie jinja around the country. The in-ground shrines also have their own picturesque, if kitsune-heavy appeal. This shrine is well worth a visit, particularly in combination with one to Keihin Fushimi Inari Jinja, about 600m away in the general direction of Shinmaruko Station.