Said to have been founded in 1576. It was originally known as Myōjin-sha as three shrines—Shirahige, Suwa, Inari—shared one building. Its betto-ji was Ryōchinsan-jiganin- Kannon-ji (両鎮山慈眼院観音寺), then as now just 67m away as the crow flies. In 1872 its name was changed to Shirahige Jinja. In September 1943 a nearby shrine, Hakusan Jinja, was absorbed and the Aoto Jinja name adopted. In 1960 a further five shrines—Takagi, Hachiman, Kitano, Kuzunoha Inari, Sui—were absorbed.
In 1961 the main shrine buildings, which were built in 1918, were near to a state of decay and were rebuilt. From 1970 to 1980 work on the #7 Ring Road (環状七号線) to the south of the shrine resulted in a shrine in that area, Aono-fujitsuna-sha, being absorbed by Aoto Jinja,
Tateminakata-no-mikoto (111) 建御名方命
Takami-Musubi-kami (2) 高皇産霊神
Mizuha-nome-no-kami (32) 弥都波能売神
Aoto Fujitsuna 青砥藤綱
From Merged Shrines
Annual Festival: September 9
About 15 min on foot from Aoto Station. The last name on the list of enshrined kami, Aoto Fujitsuna, is strictly speaking, probably not a kami at all. He was a political advisor to the Kamakura Shōgunate and I have not been able to find any other shrines at which he is worshipped. He is the subject of an anecdote. Shown in the above ema. and in this picture, which is taken from the shrine's home page, he is using the torch which he is holding in an attempt to see to the bottom of the Nameri River (滑川) and find a few coins, ten mon to be precise, which he accidentally dropped into the river while on Shōgunate business. The coins were recovered. However, the torch he was using cost him fifty mon, presumably of his own money, as he was mocked by bystanders for spending 50 mon to recover ten mon but responded by saying that the fifty mon he spent on the torch went into a merchant's hands, thus increasing the town's prosperity, so what had been lost? Most commendable in a public servant, and he is now regarded as a symbol of rectitude and honesty.
(Click on images to expand them)