"...any being whatsoever which possesses some eminent quality out of the ordinary, and is awe-inspiring, is called Kami.”
JR Yamanote, Rinka +2 Lines
Tōkyō-to, Shinagawa-ku, Ōsaki 3-8-20
Home page: (Japanese)
September 10, 2018
Details of this shrine’s foundation are vague in the extreme. What follows is taken from its home page. "According to an old document" there was a jinja in what was the Irugi-bashi village in Musashi Province’s Ebara-gun since “olden times". It was known as Kigishi-no-Miya (雉子ノ宮) and it is said that there was a large tree called “Yurugi-no-matsu” (ゆるぎの松) in its grounds.
In the early Edo Period the shrine was moved to its present location to avoid the flooding to which the nearby Meguro River was prone. Around the same time the name of the jinja was changed to Gosha-Myōjin (五社明神) following its merger with four other local shrines, Kifune Myōjin (貴船明神), Kasuga Myōjin (春日明神), Ne-no-Gongen (子権現), and Inari Myōjin (稲荷明神). In 1872 the Irugi Jinja name was adopted and the following year it was designated a village shrine. In two stages, the first in 1896, the second in 1909, a further three shines, Inari Jinja, Kawakami Jinja, Motomura Jinja, were absorbed. In
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
Yamato Takeru-no-Mikoto 186E 日本武尊
Ōkuni-nushi-no-mikoto (80) 大國主命
Ame no Koyane no Mikoto 天兒屋命
From Merged Shrines
Itsukushima Jinja 厳島神社
Annual Festival: September 17
1933 reconstruction of the shrine buildings was completed, but they were burnt to the ground in the WWII firebombing, and it was not until June 1978 that the formal ceremony to commemorate rebuilding after this disaster was held.
A 3 minute walk from the west exit of Ōsaki Station. A relatively unusual aspect of the shrine is the "Seichō-no-akashi" (成長のあかし, "Proof of Growth") stone carving in front of the main hall, flanked by what appear to be the manga characters Doraemon and Pokemon. This is the focus of the shrine's "Shichi-go-san" ceremonies. The Itsukushima Jinja shown here was designated a Tangible Cultural Property by Shinagawa-ku in 1990: originally the yashiki of the Matsubara family, who provided the village headman for the old Irugabashi village, it was later incorporated into Iruga Jinja. To the left of the staircase leading up to the main torii there is a small Fujizuka. it was constructed in 1933.
(Click on images to expand them)