Nearest station

Ichigaya

Nanboku Line

Tōkyō-to, Shinjuku-ku, Ichigaya-hachiman-chō  15

東京都新宿区市谷八幡町 15

亀岡八幡宮市谷

 Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū

Home page: (Japanese) 

May 25, 2019

History

This Hachiman-Gū's beginnings can be traced back to 1479 when Ōta Dōkan set up a shrine to act as a spiritual guardian of Edo’s western approaches. The deity of Kamakura's Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gū was enshrined using the kanjō process and the name Kameoka Hachiman-Gū was modelled on the Kamakura shrine.

The shrine fell victim to warfare sometime during the Tenshō Period (1573-1593) and was apparently left to decay. However, just a few years later it was rebuilt by a monk from the shrine's betto-ji. In 1636 construction of the outer moat around Edo Castle was finished and shortly after this the shrine was moved to its current location which at that time was home to the Chanoki Inari (茶ノ木稲荷) Jinja. After this, the Tokugawa's, possibly beginning with Keishōin (桂昌院), concubine of the third Tokugawa Shōgun,

Enshrined Kami:  

Main

(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names

refer to position in How Many Kami table)

Hondawake-no-mikoto                  誉田別命

Okinagatarashihime (Shoki)       気長足姫尊

Yodohime-mikoto                     與杼比売命 

 

From Merged Shrines

None

In-ground Shrines:

Chanoki Inari Jinja                   茶の木稲荷神社

Shussei Inari Jinja                    出世稲荷神社

Kotohira-sha                            金刀比羅社

​Annual Festival:  August 13- 15  

Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū  亀岡八幡宮市谷
Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū  亀岡八幡宮市谷
亀岡八幡宮市谷  Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū

Iemitsu, were keen supporters of the shrine, helping it survive the odd fire and other calamities. This also helped the Monzenmachi area, where the shrine is located, to flourish until the end of the Bakufu. Come early 1945, however, and there was no protection against the firebombing and large parts of the shrine were razed to the ground. It was 1962 before reconstruction was complete.

Description

About 200m from Ichigaya Statuion. One thing which did survive the 1945 firebombing is the bronze torii, the only one of its kind in Shinjuku-ku. This was erected in 1804 and it was cast by Nishimura Izumi Fujiwara-Masahiro (西村和泉藤原政平), the fifth generation master of the Nishimura Izumi school of metal casting. Note that the bronze torii at the Hirakawa Tenman-Gū was cast by the 12th master of the same school Masatoki (西村和泉藤原政時). The pair of koma-inu in front of the prayer hall also date to 1804.

(Click on images to expand them)

Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū  亀岡八幡宮市谷
亀岡八幡宮市谷  Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū
Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū  亀岡八幡宮市谷
亀岡八幡宮市谷  Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū
Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū  亀岡八幡宮市谷
亀岡八幡宮市谷  Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū
Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū  亀岡八幡宮市谷
亀岡八幡宮市谷  Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū
Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū  亀岡八幡宮市谷
亀岡八幡宮市谷  Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū
亀岡八幡宮市谷  Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū
Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū  亀岡八幡宮市谷
茶の木稲荷神社  Chanoki Inari Jinja
Chanoki Inari Jinja  茶の木稲荷神社
茶の木稲荷神社  Chanoki Inari Jinja
Chanoki Inari Jinja  茶の木稲荷神社
茶の木稲荷神社  Chanoki Inari Jinja
Shussei Inari Jinja  出世稲荷神社
出世稲荷神社  Shussei Inari Jinja
Shussei Inari Jinja  出世稲荷神社
出世稲荷神社  Shussei Inari Jinja
Kotohira-sha  金刀比羅社
Kotohira-sha  金刀比羅社
Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū  亀岡八幡宮市谷
亀岡八幡宮市谷  Ichigaya-Kameoka-Hachiman-Gū
 
 
 
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© Rod Lucas 2016-2019

All text and photos by Lucas unless otherwise stated

Shussei Inari Jinja  出世稲荷神社