Tōkyō-to, Shinagawa-ku, Higashi Shinagawa 1-7-17

東京都品川区東品川1-7-17 

利田神社 

Kagata Jinja

Home page: None

February 5, 2017

Nearest station

Kita-Shinagawa

Keikyu Line

History

In 1626 a large sandbank emerged in the mouth of the old Meguro River, and a Buddhist monk, Takuan, from the Tōkai-ji temple, established a small shrine there, the Susaki Benten, to worship Bentenzai.  Between 1774 and 1834 the area was developed as part of the Shinagawa-shuku, the first of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. The development was led by Kagata Kichizaemon and both the area and Takuan’s Bentenzai shrine took the Kagata name.

Description

About five minutes on foot from Kita-Shinagawa station Kagata Jinja is undoubtedly best known for its whale mound.

In May 1798 a large whale was washed ashore and taken by the local fishermen. It was put on display in the Hama Palace, now the Hama Detached Palace, and no less illustrious a person than the 11th Tokugawa Shogun, Ienari, was one of the visitors. The bones were later buried in the grounds of the Kagata Jinja and a mound built on top.

Enshrined Deities:  

Main

市杵島姫命 Ichikishima-hime-mikoto

In-ground Shrines:           

金槌稲荷神社    Kanazuchi Inari Jinja   

Earliest mention of:   1626?    

Annual Festival:      June  

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© Rod Lucas 2016-2019

All text and photos by Lucas unless otherwise stated