(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
refer to position in How Many Kami table)
From Merged Shrines
Hisshō Inari 必勝稲荷
Kaiun Inari 開運稲荷
Shusse Inari 出世稲荷
Hanei Inari 繁栄稲荷
Tsukiyama Inari 築山稲荷
Fukutoku Inari 福徳稲荷
Saiwai Inari 幸稲荷
Suehiro Inari 末廣稲荷
Ontake Jinja 御獄神社
Earliest mention of: 1804
The Anamori Jinja was established in circumstances similar to the Namiyoke Inari Jinja. Around 1804 the local inhabitants were bringing under cultivation as rice paddies land which is now part of Haneda Airport. Their headman was a certain Suzuki Yagoemon (鈴木弥五右衛門). As with Namiyoke Inari, the levees which had been built to keep out the sea were continually being breached. In desperation the villagers built a shrine dedicated to Inari Ōkami on top of the levee, and thereafter there was little wave damage and the rice paddies flourished. This shrine is now known as Anamori Jinja. Anamori literally means “hole protection,” the waves were seen to open holes in the levees, and it seems that during the Edo Period the shrine become popular among local ladies of the night as offering protection against venereal disease.
In 1884 the shrine was as good as destroyed by severe rain storms. Permission to rebuild was quickly obtained and so successful was the rebuilding that in 1886 the name of the shrine was officially changed from Anamori Inari Sha to Anamori Inari Jinja. After this the area flourished and a railway line was built to connect it with central Tōkyō. The shrine's homepage quotes a now defunct magazine as saying that the railway line was built specifically to transport people to the shrine. Following Japan's defeat in WWII GHQ decided to expand Haneda Airport and in September 1945 decreed that all people living in the areahad to leave within 48 hours. 3,000 people were affected
by this order, as was the shrine, and the latter was temporarily merged into the then Haneda Jinja. Subsequently shrine parishioners were able to donate 700 tsubo of land in what is now the shrine's location and temporary buildings were erected. In 1965 the shrine's current buildings were erected.
Where to start? What better place than the station which bears the shrine’s name, Anamori Inari Station? Turning left out of the station’s only exit takes one into a short stepping street at the end of which is a torii, from where the entrance to the shrine is about 300 meters away.
The most memorable aspect of this shrine for me is the pair of kitsune standing where the koma-inu would usually be in front of the prayer hall. Weather-beaten, faces very expressive, they look much older than the 54 years they have been standing there since the first Tōkyō Olympics. There are many other kitsune scattered around the nine subordinate Inari Jinja and some of these are very interesting. The Oku-no-Miya is fascinating. Also interesting are the nine Inari Jinja in the grounds, and their appurtenances, including torii tunnels.
This shrine is the core of the Haneda Seven Fuku Inari Jinja, which, as the name suggests, is a group of seven Inari Jina in the Haneda area.