Nearest station

Higashi -nakano

Ōedo,  Chūō Lines

Tōkyō-to, Nakano-ku, Higashi Nakano 1-11-1

東京都中野区東中野1-11-1

氷川神社

   Hikawa Jinja

Home page: none

April 9, 2018

Enshrined Kami

(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names

refer to position in How Many Kami table)

Main

Susano-o-no mikoto (57)   須佐之男命

Inada-hime-mikoto                   稲田比売尊

Ōnamuchi-kami                         大己貴神

 

From Merged Shrines

None

In-ground Shrines:

Kitano Jinja         北野神社

Mitake Jinja        御嶽神社

Suwa Jinja           稲荷神社

Shiogama Jinja  塩竃神社

 

​Annual Festival:    September 14,15

History

The shrine was probably founded in 1030 by Minamoto Yorinobu after his success in putting down the rebellion led by Taira-Tadatsune in Kazusa Province (present day Chiba-ken). Through the kanjō process the deity of the Musashi Ichinomiya, Ōmiya Hikawa Jinja, was enshrined in a small shrine (hokora). It quickly became the tutelary deity for the then village of Nakano, and its betto-ji was Hōsen-ji (宝仙寺), now located at Nakano-ku, Chūō 2-33-3. During the period from 1394 to 1427 Hōsen-ji underwent something of  a resurgence under the leadership of a charismatic monk and a main hall was

Nakano Hikawa Jinja  中野氷川神社

added to theshrine at this time. In 1477 Ōta Dōkan won a battle with a minor samurai Toshima Yatsusune (豊島泰経) at what is now the Ekoda/Numabukuro area of Nakano-ku and to celebrate his victory visited the shrine and had the main hall rebuilt. Shortly after the Meiji Restoration, in November 1872, the rank of Village Shrine was given: this was followed by the rebuilding of the Prayer Hall in 1877 and of the Main Hall in 1882. In 1911 two other local shrines, Mihashira Jinja (三柱神社) and Arasawa Jinja (荒澤神社) were merged into it.

Description

About 600m from the west exit of Higashi-nakano Station.

There is a long, long list of the Big 3 things in many fields in Japan. One particularly relevant to this jinja is “Tōkyō’s Big Three Alleyways" (東京三大横丁). One of these is Nakano’s Nabeyaka (鍋屋横丁): in 1862 the proprietor of a teashop there, Nabeya Kanemon (鍋屋勘右衛門), financed the construction of the shrine’s three torii.

The object in the photo at bottom right is a naval mine of the type used by the pre-war Imperial Japanese Navy. Along with other armaments such as armour-piercing bullets it was presented to an association of reservists in Nakano by the Yokosuka Naval District in September 1928.

The Kōshintō (stone monument) showing the Three wise monkeys shown in this photo is one of several items in the shrine grounds designated as tangible cultural assets by Nakano-ku. Technically speaking, it is of the Shōmenkongō type.

(Click on images to expand them)

The koma-inu were erected in April 1941

The koma-inu were erected in September 2007, replacing a pair which dated to June 1857

 
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© Rod Lucas 2016-2019

All text and photos by Lucas unless otherwise stated