JR Chūo Line
Nagano-ken, Shiojiri-shi, Daimon 358
Home page: none
July 23, 2018
(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names
From Merged Shrines
Ōmine Jinja 大峰神社
Ebisu Jinja 蛭子神社
Kodama Jinja 蚕玉神社
Ōba Jinja 大姥神社
Located as it was amid productive farmland, indeed still is, and at the entry to Shiojiri Shuku (塩尻宿), the 30th of the 69 stations of the Nakasendō, Daimon flourished during the Edo Period. The shrine’s history board lists two other shrines at more or less the same address as its own, Wakamiya Hachiman-sha (若宮八幡社) and Shibamiya Hachiman Jinja (柴宮八幡社). The former’s origin is in a 918.5m mountain, Uenoyama (上野山), at the end of a ridge to the south of Shiojiri. At the foot of the mountain near to a lake, Ubagaike (姥池), there is a fresh water spring, so fresh in fact that the Wakamiya Hachiman-sha was set up there to honour the Water Kami, and the spring is still flowing. Shibamiya Hachiman Jinja dates to 1355 during the Nanboku-chō Period when the forces of the Southern Court set up a command post at a place called Kikyōgahara, and along
with it the shrine. In 1873 both shrines were given Village Shrine (sonsha) ranking and designated as Shinsen-heihakuryō-kyōshin-jinja. In 1952 Wakamiya was absorbed by Shibamiya and the new entity was named Daimon Jinja. In April 1954 the new shrine was registered with the Association of Shintō Shrines and in July of the same year was recognized as a religious corporation by the Prefectural Government. In 1975 the Prayer Hall, Offerings Hall and Shrine Office were rebuilt.
About 1.2km from Shiojiri Station, there is a bus service. Note that of the two enshrined deities Ōhosazaki-no-mikoto is an alternative name for the 16th emperor, Nintoku. Interestingly, the jinjajin.jp page (Japanese) on Daimon Jinja only lists four in-ground shrines for it, while this photo clearly shows five. The missing one is Ōba Jinja, and its presence here is presumably related to the Ubagaike lake mentioned here.