Tōkyō-to, Taitō-ku, Imado 2-13-6

東京都台東区今戸2-13-6

熱田神社

   Atsuta Jinja

Home page: None

October 29, 2017

Nearest station

Asakusa

Ginza, Tobu Skytree, Toei Asakusa Lines

History

In 1571 there were three shrines, Torigoe Jinja, Dairoku Tensakaki Jinja, and Atsuta Daimyōjin in Mototorigoe in what was then Asakusa-ku and is now Taitō-ku. These were collectively known as the Three Torigoe Myōjin and housed the tutelary deity of the Torigoe area.  In 1645, during the reign of the third Tokugawa Shōgun, Iemitsu, the area was taken under direct Shōgunal control and as a consequence both shrine and people had to be moved. Land in what was then Sanya Mura in Toshima-gun, now part of Kiyoshi in Taitō-ku and close to the current shrine location, was made available and several tens of families moved along with the shrine. The area was renamed Shin-Torigoe and the shrine became Sanya Myōjin. In 1708, and again in 1824 and 1861, it was rebuilt. Like Imado Jinja, it was then destroyed in the Great Kantō earthquake of September 1923. By 1925 it had been temporarily rebuilt but in November 1927 land rezoning measures to facilitate urban revival saw it moved to its present site. As a result of the damage suffered in the 1923 earthquake, the main hall was rebuilt as a ferro-concrete structure and this allowed it to emerge relatively undamaged from the March 1945 fire bombing. The other shrine buildings were reconstructed in 1965.

Enshrined Kami:  

Main

(Note: numbers in parentheses after kami names

refer to position in How Many Kami table)

Yamato Takeru-no-Mikoto 186E 倭建命

Tachibana-hime-Mikoto               橘姫命

 

From Merged Shrines

None

In-ground Shrines: 

Benzaiten Sha                  弁財天社

Hachiman Sha                      八幡社

Aoki-Inari Sha                       青木稲荷社

Kōshin-Konpira Aiden         庚申金毘羅合殿

TenmanGū Hōsōkamifukuju-Inari Aiden

天満宮疱瘡神福寿稲荷合殿

Rei Jinja                                  霊神社

Earliest mention of:  1571

Annual Festival:   Early June

Description

About 1.5km from Asakusa Station, and some 350 ms north of Imado Jinja. Visually it is not that interesting and its main claim to fame is the Inyomaru Ōdachi sword, which is normally kept out of sight but can be seen during the annual Reisai festival in early June. The blade of this sword is 280 cm long and its overall length is 368.5 cm, making it the longest sword north of Kantō. It is registered as a Tangible Folk Culture Property with Taitō-ku. It was forged in 1847 by one Kawai Hisayuki and dedicated at the shrine in the same year. It does not seem to have been used in warfare, quite the opposite in fact. In 1858 a cholera epidemic was raging: the sword was paraded around the town and seems to have temporarily warded off the spread of the disease. In 1889 the law promulgating the new Constitution of the Empire of Japan (Dai Nippon Teikoku Kenpō) was enacted and the  Inyomaru Ōdachi sword was on the parade float in the procession held in celebration.

 

(Click on images to expand them)

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© Rod Lucas 2016-2019

All text and photos by Lucas unless otherwise stated